Finding Rest on Labor Day


I am so thankful that this past week I was able to spend time with my parents in SC.  We were able to get some much needed rest and relaxation before the normal fall schedule gets into full swing.  My greatest time of rest, however was not the physical detoxing from activity.  My greatest rest came from time with God.

Perhaps you need rest today.  Let me encourage you to receive God’s rest His way.  You don’t have to leave NYC to get the best rest.  Rest does not come from vacation.  Studies show that vacation can actually be very stressful and not very restful!  You may concur; at times the best way to rest is not to get away but to stay (and stay your soul in God).

True rest comes from knowing God.  And I guess I should add, appropriating that knowledge of God in a personal way.  Your faith in Who God is makes the pressures of life melt away.  How then, can you take time to rest?  Take time affirming Who God is.  Meditate on His character revealed in the Bible and pray these truths back to Him.  This is the best form of rest available to humanity.  It is a taste of heaven.  It is God’s presence where there is fullness of joy.

“You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever” (Psalm 16:11).
Let me give you a practical example.  Many passages of Scripture are bursting with God’s character (His “glory”) so that we are almost overwhelmed with the light!  Look at a Psalm like Palm 145.  We will take the three step pattern I encourage in our booklet "How to develop a daily devotional time with God."

  • Step 1 - Look

“I will extol You, my God, O King, And I will bless Your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless You, And I will praise Your name forever and ever.  Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable.  One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts.  On the glorious splendor of Your majesty And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate” (Psalm 145:1-5).

In the first step you may look at any character quality in the verses above.  They are packed with God’s glory.  His name is blessed; He is great; His greatness is unsearchable; His actions are great.  We could go on and on.  But let’s look at one quality in particular.  The text says that God is a King.

  • Step 2 – Think

This is meditation and meditation is where the resting really gets started.  The first step is as far as  academic knowledge gets you.  But we have not even started yet!  Let's move now from our head to our heart.  

Meditation is chewing on this truth in your heart and soul.  Let’s think about the ways that God’s Kingship is true.  God is King so He is in charge.  God is King so I need to obey Him.  As King His authority goes over the head of my boss or my political leaders.  I am not in control.  God is King and He is in control.  You could go on and on in your thoughts about God’s kingship.

  • Step 3 - Exalt

Once we have looked and thought, we need to express our praise and thanksgiving to God through Jesus.  You may be on your knees before an open Bible, or you may be seated on the couch in your living room (you better not be in front of a television at the same time!).  But in your soul, you are as Moses before the burning bush, or before the expression of God’s glory on the holy mountain.  You are praising your Creator.  This is a glorious gift given uniquely to humankind.  We can voice praise to God for Who He is.  You may something like this.

“Holy Father, I come to you through Jesus Christ and Him alone.  I praise You for You are King.  I do not dread the future for You are in control.  I praise You for the Kings of the world are nothing compared to You.  You alone are King of Kings.  I praise You for your Kingship will never end.  Earthly Kings have limitations through life.  But I praise You for I serve an everlasting King Who’s rule will never end.  I praise You for you are King over everything.  There is nothing that is out of Your control.  When I face a difficulty today I glory in the fact that You are King over that difficulty.  You rule.  Lord, I give you my sovereignty.  I have no rule in my own life.  I simply wait for your direction and guidance.  My will is nothing.  I worship and adore You as King.  Thank you for revealing Yourself to me in this way today.  Help me Lord to keep Your Kingship in front of me today.  In Jesus name I pray, Amen.”

These three steps - look, think, and exalt, will help you meditate.  Meditation on the glory of God is a singular joy.  You will find yourself so relieved and refreshed when you finish this meditation.  Stress and anxiety will flee away.  Earthly considerations will have no more bearing upon your spirit.  You will be free.  You will have rest.

Spend time this weekend resting in the character and nature of God.

“‘Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!’  The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah” (Psalm 46:10-47:1).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to God for a new house for our family. Soli Deo Gloria!

🌒3️⃣ECLIPSES OF #BIBLE AND what THEY MEAN 🌙 #DailyDevotional #Christian #Prophecy #Religion #EndTimes

Lloyd Jones and Billy Graham – Association or Separation