Challenges and Blessings of Pastoring in COVID Conditions

 COVID Challenges

This year has been a difficult one to Pastor in any community. It is no different here in NYC. I was encouraged (??) recently when I read that McCheyenne died because of serving his community during an epidemic at age 29. That's not what God has called us to while ministering during COVID, and yet, some pastors have died. Whether a pastor is healthy or sick, it reminds me that the Lord often asks His servants to work harder during difficult periods of history. I'll open up about a few of the difficulties here, as well as some of the benefits. 

Difficulties

I'm hesitant to say things are difficult because of what others put up with on a daily basis in life and ministry. But I'm just trying to be transparent for a bit--not complaining, opening up.
Health Risk: 
There is a greater risk now, as you know. I'm reminded again of this due to the recent uptick in COVID numbers. One of the men in our church lost his dad to COVID. And he caught the fever at the church he was attending (not in NYC)! Others in the church died as well. These health risks continue. In NYC we have also seen a little more health risk due to crime concerns, school concerns, etc. 

Emotional Toll: 
We all can get a little cooky when stuck in apartments for months on end. Even some of our more mature believers are a little "off their game." I'd say this emotional toll may be greater here in NYC than other places due to the longer time we've been dealing with these conditions, the more drastic shut downs, and also the fact that we had a month or two where the restrictions were lifted. I really felt like "hope differed made our hearts sick" this last time we were shut down.

When numbers were down drastically I felt a communal sigh of relief. Now that the numbers have gone back up, there has been a communal sigh of grief.

I'm Out'a Here:
The Exodus has begun, as I'm sure you've heard. I'm amazed at how many local businesses have left. But people are leaving too. We have several people who have already moved and others are praying about the same. We're used to a revolving door. But, the revolving door is moving faster ... but only the ones moving out not the ones moving in. In Queens, we may see some stability due to many more moving out of Manhattan to the other boroughs.

I'll be honest, people moving weighs on me as a pastor in that God puts it in my heart to see the sheep gathered, not scattered. I know it's great to send disciples that have been built up, but personal relationships still hurt when they are broken this side of heaven. It's natural to feel this deeply. If I ever don't feel that pain, I will doubt whether I should be a pastor.

More Work:
There is a big section of our people that are not able to gather in person due to a higher risk category, or a higher sense of caution in their personality (no problem, I understand). But it causes a difficult situation for a pastor. Regularly I can connect with the flock each Sunday as a group, speak with numerous people one on one and have numerous people speak with numerous people one on one. That's not possible now with about 20% of the flock.

I'm thankful we have a small group organization set up to keep people in the loop. When Sunday gatherings shut down, our church still gathered. And perhaps they were more committed to these small groups than at other times. But now that Sundays are back in full swing, I'm working with the 80% each Sunday and still called to pastor the 20% who don't come on Sunday. That means that often after Sunday's gathering at church, I'm spending time throughout the week connecting with the flock that is watching the service and participating as much as possible. I'm not sure there is a better solution here... It's working, it's just a lot more working. 

Disunity:
Have you ever heard of disagreements in a church body over how serious COVID is or how careful we should be? = ) Yes. Each week is another practice in managing people and their differing strong opinions. Lord help us with this! Beyond that, there is a sense of discontinuity just because we are social distancing, not shaking hands, remaining spread out. That has an effect.

Our Unique Disunity: 
Perhaps your church is different, but we've also had to add a second worship service to make room for those who want to come and still sit apart. So our normal church gathering is divided into two meeting times. This is not a healthy (spiritual) condition long term and even in just five months I'm seeing how the right hand may not know what the left hand is doing. I love the opportunity to provide enough space and an additional time for people in the community to access our church services. But there is a disunity here that we have to overcome.

Difficulty to Connect with New People:
There is a limit to social interaction that keeps us from meeting new people. The Lord still provides this. But it takes more effort and ingenuity. I'm praying to meet one new person each month this year from the community. A lifting up of restrictions will help this.

Opportunities:

We can't leave this topic on a negative note. I'll open up about the positives too. They mirror some of the negatives above = )

Sensitivity to Spiritual Things:
Ok, there is an increased danger and risk. But this heightened danger has brought a heightened sense of need for the Lord. Especially in March and April, 2020, we had a great drawing of people to the Lord in prayer. I think that has had lasting effects on our church people. We also saw people we've prayed for for years make decisions for Christ. The one set of footprints on those rocky shores were truly the Lord's for He carried us close to Himself. 

Heightened Online Presence:
Yes, your church is probably streaming now. And, perhaps you've never even thought of that before. This is one of the greatest benefits of this COVID time, I believe. God's Word is so powerful! I'm thankful it is being preached non-stop on the Internet through faithful ministers across the world who are sensitive to feed the flock even in a pandemic.

Stepping Up:
With people leaving and others not able to attend, I'm excited to see many in our church who've had to step up who perhaps would not have had to step up before this. The Grace Groups have become more essential. The prayer meetings are more consistently attended. These stepping ups from people and organizational structures are a benefit of harsher conditions.

Grace upon Grace:
Although the work load is greater, God's grace is greater still. In my short (?) life so far, I consistently find that when the margins in my life are just so, and my work load is just so, I can become self-reliant. This past year I've been pushed beyond my strength. And I can say with those before "God's grace has abounded"... and I can also say, "yet not I but the grace of God within me." Although I've failed. Although I've nearly given in at times. The Lord's grace continues to sustain and give grace on top of grace. That is God! 

And so, as God continues to build Grace Baptist Church here in Forest Hills, it is only an attribution to God's sustaining, strengthening grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to God for a new house for our family. Soli Deo Gloria!

🌒3️⃣ECLIPSES OF #BIBLE AND what THEY MEAN 🌙 #DailyDevotional #Christian #Prophecy #Religion #EndTimes

Lloyd Jones and Billy Graham – Association or Separation