Content of Faith - From the booklet - "How can I know that I have eternal life?"

The following quote is from the third booklet in the LIFE Groups "Growing" series.  In this booklet, we survey 1 John and the doctrine of a believer's Assurance of Salvation. 
In the segment below I'm teaching the difference between the object of faith and the content of faith.   Simply stating, "I believe in Jesus" is not enough (object of faith).  Most important is the question, "What do you believe about Jesus (content of faith)?"

I'm teaching through this booklet on Tuesday nights.  Lessons 1-3 are on our YouTube channel now, and we will be going through lesson four this Tuesday night (Tuesday, September 2nd).  See below for lesson 3.  Also, the full booklet is included via pdf below.


"John presents specific truths about Jesus that we must believe.  This demonstrates a very important truth.  When it comes to assurance of salvation, faith is not the only factor we must examine.  We must also consider the object and the content of someone’s faith.  What you believe about something will determine whether or not your faith is misplaced.  The object of your faith is what you are trusting in.  'Having faith' is not enough.  You must have faith in Jesus.  Additionally, it is just as important what you believe about Jesus. We could refer to the 'what' of your faith as the content of your faith.


Take the example of a chair.  I can have faith in a chair.  And that may be a good thing.  However, it may not be a good thing depending on the content of my faith.  What do I believe about that chair?  Let’s choose the recliner in my living room.  If I trust this chair to hold my weight so I can sit down and rest, I have not misplaced my faith.  However, if I trust in the same chair to fly me to Florida, then I have definitely misplaced my faith.   In the same way, what you believe about Jesus is essential.  'I believe in Jesus.' Is a common statement.  But we must ask someone what do you believe about Jesus?"





How can I know that I have eternal life? Assurance of Salvation



Purchase the entire booklet for your own or for small group Bible Study $4 each plus $2 shipping:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to God for a new house for our family. Soli Deo Gloria!

🌒3️⃣ECLIPSES OF #BIBLE AND what THEY MEAN 🌙 #DailyDevotional #Christian #Prophecy #Religion #EndTimes

Lloyd Jones and Billy Graham – Association or Separation