Thoughts on the Repentance of David and Peter

Recently, in my time with the Lord, I read from from I Chronicles 10. The Lord instructed me about the comparison of the lives of Saul and David and also Peter and Judas with reference to their repentance . . .


I don’t have time to develop this but here are a few thoughts:

1. Fear a repentance composed of seeking man’s forgiveness and not God’s. Saul’s repentance sounds good in word. But there are no tears or remorse and there are several egregious sins over an extended period of time only once do we read of repentance. In that time of repentance (I Samuel 15) the words sound good but they are really superficial. There is a lack of acknowledging the sin to God. Saul speaks to Samuel and seems to be afraid to speak with His God (He says to Samuel “Pardon my sin”). David has no go between. He says, “against you and you only have I sinned and done this evil.” Saul’s seems tied to his position before the elders of Israel (I Samuel 15:30)

2. Fear a tearless repentance. In both David (Psalm 51) and Peter’s (Luke 22:62) repentance there is great emotional expression of their grief. This cannot be all that is included in repentance. But I would fear if my sorrow over sin did not affect my spirit in some way. It seems that ‘feeling sorry’ is not the only step but it is a good first step. I am not saying we must cry every time we repent . . . because we sin daily. But in times of great sorrow over failure before God I would fear a tearless or unemotional repentance. The heart affects the face.

3. Rejoice in Repentance! Those who have a true heart change by conversion/the new birth will continue to sin. But they will continue to believe in the blood of Jesus to wash away that sin and will continue to repent (Acts 20:21). If you are sinning – sorrow. However, if you are repenting, rejoice with exceeding great joy for you are one of His own! If you are not repenting of your sin . . . seek it night and day with tears.

4. Fear a repentance that does not result in life change. Repentance is not just sorrow. It is accompanied with a change of mind reflected in a change of will about the specific sin. Peter and David did not continue in these sins. When I broke my mom’s valuable pitcher I truly was sorrowful that I got caught but I was also sorrowful that I broke it . . . I didn’t want to hurt anything that she treasured. But I could not go back and change it. It was broken. I had to ask forgiveness. When we break God’s law it is broken. We cannot go back and mend it up. We must have Jesus’ blood for the payment for the punishment and His perfect righteousness in our place. Also, as a son of the Father I am sorry that I broke anything God treasured. I am not looking for the next time I can demolish an antique vase! We cannot ask forgiveness of the Father as we hold another vase in our hands ready to throw it against the wall on the opposite side of the room. That is not repentance.

5. Rejoice in a God who forgives and uses His repentant servants. Both David and Peter continued to serve God in amazing ways. If God held our sins against us and did not provide the Gospel we would all be utterly useless! I am so thankful God forgives through Jesus and continues the sanctifying work on the vessels He uses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks to God for a new house for our family. Soli Deo Gloria!

🌒3️⃣ECLIPSES OF #BIBLE AND what THEY MEAN 🌙 #DailyDevotional #Christian #Prophecy #Religion #EndTimes

Lloyd Jones and Billy Graham – Association or Separation